June 21, 2012

June 21: You might be able to call me an expert in literature searching


This week has been spent refining our research topics and searching journals for similar studies that can give us an analysis direction or point out where we’re lacking data. I’ve gone through hundreds of articles and have found maybe seven applicable studies, but the ones I have are quality and I’ve found that nobody has looked at my topic in South Africa before and published, which is great for me. I’ve settled on looking at maternal anthropometry. Not as disease-related as I’d hoped, but still an area that needs to be looked at. Now I just have to continue looking through articles and designing the data analysis. The expectation of the program is that I’ll have produced a paper of my own by the time I leave Venda, which is five weeks from now. It’ll require a quick turn-around once I get my topic approved and figure out how to do the statistics.

I met with the microbiology professor at Univen to discuss the feasibility of some of my topics on Tuesday. He’s involved in the science aspect of the MAL-ED project where he and his students test the stool samples and other collected materials. Some of his graduate students were doing topics that I was considering and backing them up with lab work they’d been doing for months, so I had to let go of those. He was such a delightful person to talk to that I didn’t mind, though. He invited us to come observe his students work in the lab and examine some of the samples they’re analyzing, which will be wonderful. We’ll also get the chance to go out to the field a few times next week to help the field workers and see more of the people whose data we’re analyzing, so I’m looking forward to that.

We left the office early yesterday to visit the Thohoyandou Art and Culture Centre with a lady we work with and a UVA faculty member who is leaving for the States on Saturday. It was basically a place for local artists to display their work – everything from photographs to sculptures to handmade paper – and maybe make some money by selling it to tourists. The majority of the works centered on the local culture, so there were sculptures of diamond miners and women in traditional dress, paintings of tribal ceremonies, prints of huts, and bracelets made in the local style. There was also a painting of George W. Bush, though it looked very out of place.

We pondered over a basket of small but expensive chunks of wood with little holes poked in them for a while before the proprietor told us that half of them were elephant bones and are used by the tribal shaman as divining bones. They’re trained to throw them and read the configuration to gather information. I hope to be able to witness traditional practices like this in person sometime before I leave (though I did see some Univen students practicing some traditional dance today).

The lady who accompanied us showed us some sculptures there that her dad had carved. We ended up meeting him afterward and saw a half-finished but already intricately-carved wooden drum that he made from one piece of tree trunk with a chisel by working 8am-5pm every day for three or four months. Eventually a piece of animal hide will be stretched over it and it can be used in traditional dances and ceremonies. I wanted to buy so much of the art there, especially since all of the money goes back to the artist, but luggage limitations and the worry that they’ll break in transit kept me from getting any of the beautiful items. There were even some tortoise carvings I had to leave behind.

We went with the water filter team past Louis Trichardt (another town about 140 km away) to a lodge called Shilivari to meet some architecture students from UVA for dinner last night. It was somewhat expensive (R160 which equals about $20, so not expensive in the U.S., but expensive here), but was absolutely wonderful. They served a butternut soup, pasta and vegetables for the vegetarians, and lemon tart for dessert. I never really liked butternut squash, but I’ve had it quite often here and turns out it’s pretty great. That lodge is 800 times more luxurious than Acacia, but I think I’m ok “living rough” in Thohoyandou since I get a better feel for the area and living on my own. Of course we’re covered in dirt all the time just from walking outside, people keep taking our porch furniture, we have to use a pocket knife to cut vegetables, and there’s the risk of lizards crawling through our bathroom window, but it’s a lot less touristy than putting up in a nice hotel for two months. I even hung a complex clothing line system outside our cabin this morning (trying to avoid the spider egg sacs everywhere) and we’re going to do our laundry in little buckets once the sun comes back out (it’s drizzly and overcast today) and hope no monkeys steal our shirts.

I came here in anticipation of monkeys that are to this area as grey squirrels are to the U.S. and was disappointed for more than a week at seeing none, even though I could hear them prancing on my roof. Then, on Monday morning, we walked outside and the monkeys were everywhere. They were fighting, sunning, scratching, climbing trees, digging in the trash, and just generally being the most adorable animals ever. I’m not sure the species, but they’re little grey ones that are out around 8 a.m. and then disappear for the rest of the day unless someone leaves the lid off the trashcan. If not for the threat of rabies, hemorrhagic fever, parasites, and monkey fangs, I’d try to befriend one.

The language I thought was Dutch is actually Afrikaans. I knew that descendants of Dutch settlers in South Africa are called Afrikaner, but I never put that together with the language. Apparently the difference between Dutch and Afrikaans is like the difference between American English and British English, which is why I identified it as Dutch. I’ve watched some soap operas in Afrikaans and someone attempted to teach me some words, but I’ve been having a language overload and keep mixing them up in my head. This area uses English, Afrikaans, and Tshivenda as well as a number of other native languages. So far I’ve only been somewhat successful in picking up Tshivenda (more than the last time I wrote about languages!)

My faculty advisor at Univen grew up on the western side of the country and speaks Xhosa, which is one of several languages that incorporate clicks and other sounds made in the mouth. Her name actually uses a click, but I’m not comfortable saying it that way yet. She has explained that there are four click-incorporating languages similar to hers that she can understand despite not knowing them fully. The other native languages used in the Venda area, though, are different enough that she can’t use them. I’m not trained in picking out the different languages and just assume everyone’s using Tshivenda (which is a decently safe assumption in this area. Most people know Tshivenda on at least a basic level). The soap operas based in Johannesburg will often use a mix of an unidentified language and English, supplementing with subtitles for anything they think English-speakers won’t understand. We’ve actually gotten pretty hooked on one called Isidingo, which has eight plot lines at once and likes to cut off right when something is about to happen.

I met my advisor’s son who is in primary school and interested in robotics and singing, according to himself. He could speak English really well, which is apparently a result of watching American TV (he was watching the Disney Channel when we walked in). His mother said that he insists upon using English at home and had an aversion to learning her native language for most of his life, so he would ask her to use English if she tried speaking in a different language. More recently, he’s been teaching himself Spanish just for kicks. A very precocious boy, for sure.

I’m not sure if we’re doing anything cool this weekend (besides living in a country halfway across the world!), but there are certainly many places to visit in the area, if only I had transportation at my disposal. There are a lot of minibus taxis around, but I don’t trust them because they like to break the already lax traffic rules and drive on the sidewalks and they’re just really annoying to be around. Our main transportation provider is leaving on Saturday, so we’ll have to try to arrange other methods of getting to Univen, the store, and attractions for the rest of our stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment